Part I Listening
1. D 2. C 3. A 4. B 5. C
6. B 7. C 8. D 9. B 10. A
11. D 12. C 13. B 14. A 15. A
16. D 17. D 18. C 19. B 20. C 21. B 22. A 23. C 24. C 25. A
26. D 27. C
Part II Reading
28. A 29. D 30. E 31. B 32. C
33. C 34. A 35. B 36. B 37. D
38. B 39. D 40. B 41. D 42. A 43. B 44. A 45. C 46. D 47. C
48. B 49. A 50. D 51. C 52. B
Part III Translation
53. D 54. C 55. B 56. B 57. A
Part IV Writing
TO: All Staff
FROM: Pat Lewis, Human Resources Director
DATE: November 20th
SUBJECT: STAFF CHRISTMAS PARTY
It’s that time of year again. As you all know, Christmas is our busiest season of the year. Every year it is a struggle for the managers to find the time and energy to organize a staff Christmas party. This year, we have decided to postpone the Christmas party until mid January, after our busy season.
We apologize that the celebration will have to wait until the new year, but we guarantee that it will be worth the wait. For further information, please call 222-3098.
Directions: In this section, you will hear five short sentences. Each sentence will be spoken only once. At the end of each sentence there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the four choices marked A, B, C and D, and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
1. I was wondering if you could come to the meeting at 3 p.m. on Tuesday.
2. John Lee has the educational background and relevant experience required for the job.
3. If you have any questions, please call our office at 36672891 for help.
4. Please send the pizza we ordered to Burnett Advertising Agency, No. 480 Jinling Road.
5. Our digital TV, model 315, was $350 before we put it on sale.
Directions：For each question in this section, you will hear four statements about a picture on your Test Paper. When you hear the statements, you must select the one that best describes what you see in the picture. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center. The statements are not printed out and will be spoken only once.
Example: You will hear:
A. The man is reading a map.
B. The man is driving.
C. The man is working at his computer.
D. The man is walking.
Statement B, “The man is driving”, is the best description of the picture, so you should select B and mark it on your answer sheet. Now the test will begin.
6. A. They are listening to a concert.
B. They are having a meeting.
C. They are eating at a restaurant.
D. They are dancing to the music.
7. A. The woman is reading a book.
B. The woman is playing chess.
C. The woman is talking on the phone.
D. The woman is drinking her coffee.
8. A. The man is looking at a picture.
B. The man is looking for his key.
C. The man is talking to someone.
D. The man is waiting for the lift.
9. A. The meeting room is full of people.
B. There is no one seated at the table.
C. Someone is making a presentation.
D. There’re several computers on the table.
10. A. The man is leaving the building.
B. The man is talking with a girl.
C. The man is writing a letter.
D. The man is looking at his watch.
Directions: This section is to test your ability to give proper responses. There are five recorded questions or statements in it. The questions or statements will be spoken only once.
After each question or statement, there is a pause. During the pause, you should decide on the best answer from the four choices marked A, B, C and D. Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
11. Hello! I’m Rex Lee from Conrad Electronics. May I speak to Mr. Richard Miller, please?
12. Mr. Keller, I’d like you to meet Mr. Alan Campbell, our customer from Australia.
13. Why is it so hard to get fast service from your company?
14. Do you mind if I smoke here in the office?
15. I’m sorry to have kept you waiting, Mrs. Palmer.
Directions: In this section, you will hear ten short conversations. At the end of each conversation, a question will be asked about what was said. Both the conversation and question will be spoken only once. After each question, there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the four choices marked A, B, C and D, and decide which is the best answer.
Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Example: You will hear: M: Oh, dear, I have so much pressure from work that I can’t even breathe.
W: Why don’t you take some time off and relax.
Q: What does the man mean?
You will read:
A. He can’t breathe in his office.
B. He is not so sure about his work.
C. One of his dear friends is giving him trouble.
D. His job is giving him a lot of stress.
From the conversation we learn that the man is under a lot of pressure from work. Therefore, the correct answer is D. Now the test will begin.
16. M: Ms. Joy Gilbert, welcome to Business Today. When did you join Starbucks?
F: In 1990. And I got my first management post three years later.
Q: When did the woman get her first management post?
17. M: You don’t have much experience in customer service.
F: Well, I used to work part-time in a small company. I answered phone calls, received visitors and wrote emails to customers.
Q: Which of the following was NOT one of the woman’s duties ？
18. F: You’re from Shenyang, aren’t you?
M: No, I was born in Changchun, but left at 10 when my parents moved to Hangzhou.
Q: Where was the man when he was 9 years old?
19. F: You’ll be here for three days, right?
M: Yes. We’d like to have a tour round your factory on Tuesday. Then we’ll go to Shanghai on Friday.
Q: Where will the man go for a tour before he leaves?
20. M: What do you think about the price of our product?
F: Well, at your price it’s very hard for us to sell your product in our market.
Q: What can we infer from the conversation?
21. F: Hello, how can I help you?
M: Hi. I think my phone is out of order. I keep getting a funny noise after I get through to a number.
Q: What’s the man’s problem?
22. M: Have you found a new job?
F: Yes, I’m now a receptionist in a foreign enterprise. But I don’t think I’ll stay there for long.
Q: What does the woman mean?
23. F: Excuse me. I was caught in a traffic jam and missed my plane. Can you tell me when the next flight to Beijing will take off?
M: The earliest one is at 4 p.m. You’ve got fifty minutes before take-off.
Q: Where does this conversation most probably take place?
24. M: Would you like to have dinner with us this evening?
F: Thank you, I would enjoy that very much. But I have to finish my report.
Q: Why can’t the woman go?
25. M: Sara, please make fifteen copies of this report for me and send a copy to Mr. Richards.
F: Certainly, sir. I will do it right now.
Q: What’s the probable relationship between the two speakers?
Directions: In this section, you will hear one passage. At the end of it, some questions will be asked about what was said. You will hear the passage and questions twice. After each question, there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the four choices marked A, B, C and D, and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Getting checked into a hotel is an easy task that requires you to give proper identification, a form of payment and some personal information to the hotel staff. Here are some instructions for you to follow if you haven’t already made a reservation.
Step 1 Greet the front desk person and communicate that you’d like a room.
Step 2 Specify how many rooms you need, how many people are in your party, how long you intend to stay, what size beds you need and if you prefer smoking or non-smoking rooms.
Step 3 Request any special services like help with your luggage, wake-up calls, room service, etc.
Step 4 Pay for your room if you’re paying cash. Or give your card for an imprint if you’re paying by credit card.
Step 5 Get your keys and head up to your room. Enjoy your stay.
Questions 26-27 are based on the passage you’ve just heard.
26. Which of the following is NOT required when checking into a hotel?
27. Which of the following can best describe the steps for checking into a hotel?